Almost any gift or good deed deserves at least a brief, handwritten thank you note. If in doubt, send one.
As wonderful as paperless post is for a Christmas party or a gathering, there are some special occasions that need something extra special. I’m 63 years old and I love social media and search the web but I think its very important that moving forward that we don’t forget pen and paper.
Each thank you note should be different and meaningful to the recipient and it’s even more meaningful if “Sent from my iPhone” is not in the signature.
- If you are an organized person, you might want to keep a stack of cards on hand. Making them personalized makes them even more valuable and important.
- The tone of your message should match the relationship you have with the person you are addressing it to. For example, a letter to a lifetime friend will be more intimate than one you would send to a prospective employer.
When in doubt, a simple thank you in any form is the best thing you can do to show your appreciation.
Reasons to say thank you
- Wedding thank you
- After a friend hosting delicious dinner
- Thank you to a wonderful teacher
- A doctor you are grateful to
- Your best friend – it is always important for someone to know you are grateful regardless of how close you are to them. Sometimes you take it for granted – especially those times are when it has even more value.
- neighbour -thank you for understanding
- After birthday wishes
- Baby announcement
Ways of saying thank you:
At its core, giving thanks for something you’ve received, whether it’s an object, an experience or something intangible like forgiveness or support, is something that just needs to be done. The form, timing and details are rarely as important as the simple act of saying thank you.